Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reflecting on a Decade

A lot can happen in ten years. A fair share of good and bad, emotionally draining and intellectually stimulating. Next week, I will have officially reached my ten-year anniversary at the Big Company. I've seen a lot change while I've been there. I've sustained a career through multiple reorgs, business unit changes and had a decent upward trajectory. I've met a lot of really great people and built some great friendships. I've learned a whole heck of a lot. I also met my husband ten years ago (because I met him at work ...) That has also been a ride with its ups and downs as any decade long relationship would experience.

Ten years ... I don't know what to say (or should I write type?) My mind is on super-reflective mode lately in many arenas. When I was a young girl of 22 what aspirations did I set and what have I achieved in comparison? I will say that the one thing I hadn't planned on has been the greatest experience of my life ... and they are my two little boys. I could never have guessed how much happiness they bring to me. Granted, they also bring some of the pain and frustration, but in the end it is definitely worth it.

The rest ... I'm still pondering. Still deciding how I am feeling. I'm usually a pretty self-aware person, knowing what I am thinking and what direction I want to take next. (And usually, when I set an internal goal, I've had a strong track record.) There are certain venoms and toxicities that are infiltrating every nook and cranny and I don't know if I know the right "cleaner" to come in and fix the mess. Probably, because that cleaner should be me ... and I'm at a loss for direction and inspiration. I'm hoping the clean crisp air of the fall -- my favorite time of year -- will set me on the right course. As a certain not-so-melodic artist once said ... I'm hoping, my friends, that the answer is blowin' in the wind.

Sorry, don't mean to go all melodramatic ... I think I just need to put on a little Ani DiFranco and chill or some, dare I say it, Lady Gaga and "dance it out."

No comments: