Thursday, September 09, 2010

Yummy Dialect

Right now I'm reading Tana French's new novel The Faithful Place. No, it's not on my 1001 list, but I want to get through all the new releases in my library queue first. And well ... it's just yummy. Tana's first book really pissed me off. For anyone who knows me, you know I need some closure. And the book was gripping and had lots of twists and a compelling plot ... but one of the biggest mysteries was never solved. It aggravated me to no end. But I enjoyed reading it so much ... that I decided to give her second book a shot. And. I. Loved. It. I'm not a huge mystery thriller reader, but if it's well written, then I am all gung ho.

Her latest book is full of such delicious Irish slang and when you read the dialogue, your mind just starts exploding with the sounds of the characters talking. Seriously, if people wouldn't think I was completely crazy, I'd read the book out-loud on the bus, because I think it would be such fun. There's just something about a book that is fun to read. I had a conversation with my mother-in-law this past weekend that hit it on the head. There are two types of books that I will read. 1)A book that is fabulously written, and just devouring the words is a journey. and 2)A book that has a kick-arse story. (Like, I hate to admit I read the Twilight series, because it is very poorly written ... but the story was addicting and I really wanted to know what would happen to Bella and Edward and Jacob.) Now if you can find a book that happens to combine 1 and 2 ... you've hit the jackpot. And for me, Tana's books have done just that. And in her second book, there was lots of closure.

The other clever thing she's done with her books is tie them together by being about the Dublin Murder Squad. The main character for each book has been different, but the main character has always been an important sub-character from the previous book. So, it's neat. You have someone else's perspective about this character helping color your perceptions and then you read a story told from their perspective and even more mysteries are unlocked. It's inspirational, fun and keeps you on the edge of your seat. What more could I ask for in a hardcover package?

No comments: