Saturday, February 19, 2011

Good Food ... Slow Service

For the fourth year of my wine club, we have decided to venture out of our homes and into the world of professionally prepared cuisine. We're taking to the restaurants. For February, we dined a restaurant called True Thai. I had planned on bringing my camera, so that I could document the evening, as I always try to do with my wine club adventures ... but alas, the batteries were low, and there were no other batteries in our charger.

The first thing I have to say is the restaurant was deceptively large. From the outside, you think that it will be this small quaint little joint ... it is a monstrosity of restaurantness! It felt as though the place kept on going and going. When the host told us that part of our party was already at the table and we just needed to go to the back ... well, I had no idea we'd be walking a block to get to the back! The size of the restaurant is probably a necessity due to how crazy busy it was. Therefore, I'm going to say that those two factors both probably had something to do with the fact that our service seemed a little slower than ideal. Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I tend to consider myself a bit high maintenance - yes, I will probably have a question and I will end up ordering a separate dish at the end of the evening to bring home to D. (He loves restaurant food ... but isn't a fan of restaurants ... so he always asks me to bring home something.) But, man ... our server would disappear for very long stretches of time. Oh, and did I mention we were eating spicy Thai food? The water was not replenished often enough. Thank goodness I only wanted one glass of wine ... I don't think I would have had a chance to get a second glass.

To the food. I had a delicious young ginger stir-fry. If you like ginger, this would have made your evening. It had a great spice to eat that just sung in my mouth. I did have to have some rice with it to tamper down the heat. I went gutsy and ordered it at the hot level - which totally left my lips burning. I had calamari added. I was delighted when the server told me it was not breaded (my question :)) and it was such a perfect compliment to the dish. Paired with a Sauvignon Blanc (should have gotten the Riesling) it was lovely and refreshing meal. We had some appetizers beforehand ... some amazing toasted cashews and a corn cake that had full kernels of corn. (The table ordered some cheese wontons, but I passed on those guiltlessly.)

If it weren't a 30 minute drive from home, I would definitely add it as a place where I might order takeout ... otherwise, I'll venture there on a non-weekend night.

Next month: Mexican!

No comments: