Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wine, Medicinal and Cleansing

My favorite little wine shop (it's just a liquor store, but has an amazing boutique wine assortment) held a wine tasting this afternoon. Me and three gal pals decided it was the perfect way to spend the first warm Saturday in two months. I've gone to one in the past and so I sort of new what to expect, and because they have all the wine on sale, it's also a great time to stock up. The last time I went, and got 12 bottles ... and it's a year later and I'm down to three. (Yes, because D doesn't drink, I have to really commit to wanting to drink wine for three nights in a row before I open a bottle.)

Overall, I have to say, I wasn't in love with the assortment they presented this evening ... but they did have a few gems. I'm not usually a white wine fan, but there were three that I was so pleasantly surprised by: Grans Fassian Piesporter Riesling ... delish. It was sweet in a non-cloying way and made me smile. Definitely something I would enjoy drinking and maybe even get D to enjoy a glass. Then I discovered the Lobster Reef Sauvignon Blanc. I love SB and the grapefruity essence of it. This was heavenly. It was so citrusy and divine. I don't know if I can save it for a hot summer day, but I know it would be the perfect beverage. The last white I really enjoyed was the Chateau Montelena Chardonnay. If you've seen the movie Bottle Shock (which, if you haven't, I highly recommend ... if for Alan Rickman alone). It's the wine that is from the winery in the movie. It was amazing, but at almost $50, I wasn't quite ready to commit to adding it to my collection for the time being. But I definitely recommend it for someone who needs a smooth Chard that's representative of what a good Chard should taste like.

I didn't find any reds that made me swoon today, but maybe it was just that I was in a light, vibrant mood and the reds were weighing me down. Too tanniny for a day like today. Perhaps. I did pick up a good bottle of Garnacha that I know I can rely on just so I have one at the ready ... when I'm ready to commit, that is.

No comments: