Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Happiness ... is a smiling toddler

I don't know if I've ever known a person who is as happy as O. Seriously, this kid smiles about everything. He runs up to everyone he can and shouts hi to them, and repeats it until they respond. And it's hard to deny him a response, because the whole time he has the world's cheesiest grin on his face.

D and I have truly lucked out when it comes to well-tempered children. (Now, don't let me fool you, both of my sons are also very talented when it comes to throwing a temper tantrum - the flinging your whole body on the floor screaming variety.) However, for the most part, they are happy boys. Even our pediatrician commented that he was amazed at how good-natured O was at his 18-month check-up. He said, usually this one is the hardest one for kids ... but no, O just sat there grinning from ear to ear and babbled away.

I have to say, whenever I'm feeling even slightly askewed, I just have to think of the cheesy grin of O and the dimpled smirk of K and I am recentered on my purpose for living. My purpose is to help maintain their happiness, make sure that those smiles stay on their faces as much as possible. My heart breaks a little every time they get hurt or sad ... (of course, K is at the age where he knows how to totally capitalize on this ... )
Being a mom is the most rewarding, hard and painful job out there (next to being a dad, of course.)

Here's to fulfilling my purpose every day.

No comments: