Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Odds Against Us

When it comes to odds ... D and I have a lot of them against us. This reality hit me like a soft snowball this weekend when my mom described a couple as "being about D's age." Not ... about you and your husband's age, but just his age. Yes, my husband is a hair over seven years older than me. (But, if you figure maturity ... we're probably close to the same age.)

I don't really think about our age difference that often ... but it is interesting how other people ponder it ... or are shocked by it. And yes, it's amazing how many people have no problem telling us that often couples with that type of age gap don't last. (Unfortunately, D had a cousin his age marry a woman my age ... and I dont' think the marriage lasted a year. D's dad responded, "that's not surprising considering their age difference." I later had to ask D if his dad realized their age difference was the same as ours.)

And of course, D and I come from very different socioeconomic backgrounds. We were raised very differently ... our families look at family differently ... oh, we're different ethnicities ... we have some very differing political viewpoints ... he's a homebody, and I like to go out and do things. He's a spender, I'm a saver. It's sort of amazing that we can make things work ... but I like to think it is because of the way we complement each other. Where our similarities build strength and where our differences balance each other out.

And hell ... we have two amazing kids and I think we both recognize the important roles we each played in their creation. While the odds may be against us ... and I'm not typically a gambler ... I'll place my best on this one.

No comments: