Saturday, July 16, 2011

Suburban Farmer

I just returned from working in our little backyard garden. I decided to uproot the yellow squash plant. In our inaugural venture, I think we were a bit overzealous on the capacity of our sweet little garden ... and it just couldn't compete with the zucchini plant ... and if I had to choose which one was going to stay ... well it was z for sure.

I have to say, I never thought I would get so excited to see the little green tomatoes, all the great zucchini, the baby watermelons and our cabbage ... and I am anticipating a cucumber explosion in the next week or so (but was able to harvest four lovely cukes today!)

Even though I am the only one who is really working in the garden, I can tell that D is quite intrigued with the possibilities (and okay, he has watered it a few times when we've had a dry spell ... but I'm the one who has to go in there and plunk out the vegetables making sure my arms are covered so that I don't get all scratched up. It's crazy, fun, and definitely imparts a feeling of accomplishment knowing that I am doing my part to teach my boys about healthy, sustainable living.

And I cannot wait until those tomatoes ripen ... in fact, as I had to pick out some today at the grocer ... D smiled and said ... it won't be too much longer until you can just go out into the backyard and pick some at your leisure ... then I'll know I'm in heaven!

No comments: