Sunday, March 04, 2012

A Whole Lotta Crazy

This past week at work was a whole lotta crazy. I mean serious crazy. I don't know if I've ever had a week that made me seriously contemplate a career switch ... and quickly. In addition to just the plain randomness of crazy there were two forces of nature that had to add to the complexity of already said craziness.

Force of nature one: snow. Yes, admittedly, I don't know if we can call this past winter rough, because frankly, it hasn't been cold and we rarely received any snow. So, this past Wednesday, when we did receive 4-8 inches (depending on where you were) many folks chose to stay inside their homes and not face the elements. I was not one of those smart people. No, I left my house around 5:45 a.m. and then proceeded to drive three miles to my park and ride. It took more than a half hour to drive those three miles. Now, a smarter person would have turned around and just gone home. Instead, my thought pattern went something like this: "It will be easier to just keep moving forward, than try to turn around and go back." Okay, granted from a philosophical standpoint, that sounds like great advice ... from a going to work on the worst day for travel all winter ... not so smart. (K even got his first snow day, and we received a call at 5:30 telling us school was cancelled due to bad weather and hazardous road conditions. (Why that wasn't a clue to stay at home ... not even going to go there.)

Force of nature two: technology failure. Our servers at the big co. were not cooperating, they were delaying emails by major scale. Emails people sent at 10 a.m. weren't arriving in people's inboxes until 7 p.m. that evening. Let me tell you, if you ever want to see miscommunication on a major scale add to an already severely stressful situation ... ask your IT department to mess with your email servers. It caused such a chaotic mess ... and the thing was, it was sporadic. As a company, we are slaves to our email and were clearly handicapped by this technical mishap.

So, of course, I was dealing with the biggest fire drill I've had to deal with to date on the major project during both of this situations. Obviously, I'm still alive, and no one else died ... but I have seen how people deal with stress in difficult situations and it makes me ask myself over and over again, is it all worth it? Working in an ambiguous field can cause a lot of unnecessary stress, maybe I should become a yoga instructor (oh, that would mean I'd have to be able to actually do some of those crazy yoga poses.)

And to add to this craziness, I volunteered myself to administer the school's PTO Facebook page (it didn't dawn on me until this weekend that I now actually have to monitor the page in case someone asks questions ...) So, now I add that to my daily to do list. And of course, writing my first book is eating at the back of my head, I know that the only obstacle to starting that goal is me ... and I need to kick my arse into gear.

No comments: