Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Lazy Rainy Weekend - Cleanse Reboot!

I had a lot of aspirational ideas for today ... and then it rained ... and it was cold ... hence, the lazy bug took over. Granted, we did get out of the house and run to the book store and then Target (which was really the highlight of O's day ... apparently he and D must go there almost every other day.) Then, we came home ... spent most of the afternoon either playing with action figures or reading. Late afternoon, D and I were both so tired, we let the boys watch a movie, and we each took a nap on the sofa. It was a lazy day if I've ever had one.

It was also day one of my three-day cleanse reboot. I was a huge fan of the cleanse I did in January. Not only did it make me feel healthier, introduce me to some new meal options and just in general kick my arse in the right direction at the beginning of the year, it also helped me determine that I have a gluten-intolerance. So, when I was reading my newest issue of Whole Living and saw that they had a three-day reboot of the cleanse for those who did the 21 or 28-day cleanse in January (or for those who just wanted a three day cleanse) ... I was thrilled.

The approach this time is a little different, you eat the same three meals for three days. But on a good note, you make the "big batches" the first day, so then the next two days are fairly easy from a prep standpoint. So, definitely something I needed to start on a Saturday when I had a little more time to prep the food (so I guess I was a little productive amongst the laziness.)

Breakfast is a grapefruit, apple, strawberry smoothie ... and it is definitely zingy and tart. I sipped it very slowly ... I think it took me a good 30 minutes to get it down. Of course, that is part of it right, savoring the moment. For lunch, it was a salad w/beets. I am always apprehensive with beets, but the salad turned out good (and was a lot of food). For dinner, I enjoyed a carrot, bean and spinach soup. You put the hot soup over the spinach leaves and let it steam for a bit. It's spiced with turmeric, and quite refreshing.

And I do have the luxury of getting two "whole food" snacks each day. Frozen bananas pureed into an "ice cream" sprinkled with almonds - divine! I am sure that by the third day, I'll be looking forward to adding some variety into my food. So, here's to three days of whole food healthy!

No comments: