Sunday, April 15, 2012

Thatch, I Despise You

D and I have lived in our house for five years ... and we are slowly acclimating to all the responsibilities of being masters of our lawn. Our lawn is very sad (and it doesn't help that one of our neighbors has the most beautiful lawn in the neighborhood ... it just increases the very sadness of our lawn.) We're anti-chemical bathing our lawn to force it to look green, so we keep looking for natural solutions to improve it.

Our latest education was about thatch and the importance of de-thatching your lawn. And our lawn needs it badly. Now with the size of our lawn, we should have just rented a motorized de-thatcher ... but again, going to our eco-passion, we instead bought a de-thatching rake powered by person.

After 90 minutes yesterday, I barely made a dent in our lawn (that's how much it needed this treatment,) I ripped a hole in my hand, and today my hands are sore and while my back doesn't really ache, it's a little sore. Today it's supposed to rain, so I'm not sure how much progress I am going to make, it may take me an entire month to get this little project done. Secretly, I hope D gets inspired and does some of it while O takes a nap the days K is at school.

D was surprised at how long it was taking me ... until he tried it ... then he realized it was a really difficult task. The worst part, we've already filled our yard waste bin for the week. So, even if we do get more time to de-thatch ... we'll have to figure out where we can put it.

Here's to lawn work and the impending summer!

No comments: