Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Roomful of First Graders

Friday I had the extreme pleasure of volunteering at K's holiday party. I arrived to a room full of energy, organized chaos and laughter. I recognized a few of the other moms (even only in the first grade, you quickly realize it's the same parents over and over again who show up for school events.)  And yes, it was only moms, slightly disappointing and I made sure I told D, so that next time he considers volunteering. (Of course, that means I couldn't volunteer, so we'll conquer that opportunity when it arrives.)

There were five stations kids were able to complete activities. I was over the Grinch-making station. The kids had to cut out pieces to make a Grinch and then assemble them. It's amazing the variation of skills and ... whining. Oh, the whining. I can't believe how much kids whined. I don't know how the teachers handle it. It would drive me crazy.

There were also definitely the bossy little kids, the know-it-alls. Everything I remember from elementary school game rushing back and I would look around for K and find him very focused at whatever station he was at doing his task and being polite. (Now, trust me, he had energy and was enjoying himself, but in general he was good at completing his task.)

K asked me to stay with him for lunch. As a treat, the kids got to eat picnic style and watch a movie in the cafeteria. Sitting on the floor was not my ideal lunch time situation, but I joined him and we talked about who he usually sits with and he told me what he did and didn't like about his lunch. And seeing how kids eat the hot lunch, it just reaffirmed that K won't be participating in hot lunch. (Even though they give the kids fruit and vegetables ... the kids don't eat them.)

I'm glad I got the opportunity to spend K's holiday party with him. And I admire the teachers even more for being able to handle all those kids every day.

No comments: