Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Calm After the Flurry

It's hard to believe Christmas as arrived and is now just a fond memory. There's only a few more days of 2012. And I am enjoying a week of blissful vacation. (For the most part, but we'll get to that in a bit.)

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were lovely. We spent time with both my family and D's family. I wish we had more time to just enjoy everyone's company and relax. Alas, with little kids you spend a lot of time just ensuring they aren't destroying someone else's house. But you gotta love 'em, because watching the holidays through their eyes ... that is what it is all about. (Now, of course, my boys definitely had their spoiled brat moments ... which meant brief but meaningful lectures on expectations and graciousness and generosity, but they are only three and six.)

I felt very lucky to be on the receiving end of some amazing gifts, but I always prefer to watch how others respond to the gifts I pick out for them. It's the anticipation of "did I do a good job?" "Do I really know the person?" It's fun, but it's agonizing, too.

However, my biggest mistake of this holiday season was the foolish idea to schedule O's three-year-check-up  the day after Christmas at 8:15 and then to schedule D and my dental check-ups for 11 a.m. (Due to the crowds in the respective waiting rooms, I'm not the only one who had this idea.) However, it meant we couldn't sleep in this morning ... and I would have loved nothing more than to have been able to sleep in.

And ... I don't like the dentist. I have horrible teeth. No matter how well I do my home care ... something is always awry with my teeth. I clench my jaw terribly during the day, and so I was waiting to hear that I've ground my teeth away ... close. I have a severely cracked tooth which means I  will need to get a crown (my third one.) Yikes. And the expense ... it's awful. So, D and I emphasize with our boys constantly how they just practice good dental hygiene. I'm hoping that  my diligence today can save them pain and money in the future.

No comments: