Saturday, December 15, 2012

Another Great Year of Wine

Today was the last wine event at my favorite little wine shop, where they host a tasting and all the wine is on sale. I went at the beginning and tried a few, including a $90 Cab that was like sipping perfection. I was able to select a bottle for a gift and then a really good bottle for Christmas Eve and a couple of other treats to sustain me for a bit.

Then it was off to wine club. This year we decided to do restaurants, but next year we are returning back to home hosting. I am a little sad, because I love going out to restaurants ... and D takes some convincing to eat out ... he always loves it when we do it ... but it's getting there that is the main obstacle. So, yes, I am a little sad that I won't have a monthly treat at the restaurant du jour ... but I'll still have the good company of my ladies and some good liquid treats to enjoy.

Tonight's venture had us at Eat Street Social. The original "social" is in Northeast and so when they decided to open a location on Eat Street, the local food critics were all abuzz, and the reviews were glowing. I knew we had to end our year here.

If you're not familiar with Eat Street, finding the spot can be a bit difficult. There's no glowing signs or large letters calling your attention to the restaurant. Fortunately, I drove with my sister and she is much more familiar with the area. Eat Street has a reputation for its cocktails, so while I usually don't imbibe, we all did start our meal with a fun little cocktail. Mine was called the Winter Cup and was made of gin, some cranberry and lime stuff and some other things. (See, I'm not a cocktail person.) The first two sips had me suck in my cheeks, I wasn't ready for the strength. But by the third sip (and a lot of melted ice) I was in good shape.

I decided to start my meal with their rutabaga soup:
First, it was a huge bowl of soup. Second, it was a huge bowl of divine creamy goodness. I love root vegetables, and this was pureed root vegetable utopia. I could have been satiated with about half the serving since it was a first course, but did that stop me ... no, I ate the whole darn bowl.

For the second course ... big surprise ... I had the duck:
Yes, I think I've ordered the duck at the majority of the places we've dined this year ... but this duck had butternut squash puree ... and there is no way I could pass that up. N-O W-A-Y.  It was also served with a chestnut, apple green hash that was sublime. Seriously, it was a plate of perfection from a flavor standpoint. I could combine anything on the plate and it tasted like a well-balanced marriage. Melt in your mouth goodness. The duck was crispy on the outside and tender and lush on the inside with just the right amount of fat layered in between. I also had a light Pinot to pair with the dinner, making it even more wonderful.

Alas, when it came time to order dessert ... I just couldn't. I was too full. (And of course, the only gluten-free dessert was a chocolate creme brulee ... good thing I like custard.) But, I just couldn't push myself to the brink this time. I ordered a cup of coffee while my companions selected their desserts. The looks on their faces with their first bits of dessert were evidence of the deliciousness they were experiencing, and so I enjoyed it vicariously through them. If I were to go again, I think I'd split a first course so that I could enjoy dessert.

It's with joy as I look back at a great year of wine club. It's amazing to thing we've gone five years strong ... and I look forward to another great year next year.

No comments: