Saturday, October 26, 2013

Playing with Monsters

D and I ran in the Monster Dash today. It was perhaps the craziest race we've run in all year. Yes, it even beat The Color Run for crazy ... and I'm not talking the costumes. There were more than 16,500 runners. Needless to say, I think it took us almost ten minutes to get to the starting line and I think I spent another ten minutes at a bottleneck at the finish line.

There were so many people, that I probably spent more energy weaving through all the walkers/joggers than I did running straight (so, I am guessing I added at least a half mile of distance with all the weaving.) But it is another race under my belt, another monthly "health" date with my hubby, so I can't complain.

If people ever doubt the benefits of running ... I have to say ... D and I are always in a really good mood after the race. (Granted, if traffic is crazy, we may be grouchy before the race.) I don't know if it's the endorphins, the proof of our commitment to healthy living to each other, the feeling of accomplishment or just the relief another is over.

My parents came down to watch the boys at the race while we ran. It's always nice to having a cheering section ... but there were just so many people, they didn't even see me at the finish!

We then went to the pumpkin patch this afternoon to pick the perfect pumpkins ... so we'll get some carving in. The boys want to do it tonight ... but I am hoping to convince them tomorrow will be a better day :)

No comments: