Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cross Training Fun

This year I've made some new running goals, a couple longer distances ... with the first one coming up in a month. So, I've been incorporating a little bit of weight training exercise in my morning and evening routines. 

In the morning, I am following a regimen a work colleague introduced me to. It's one of those that I am sure you've seen if you are on Facebook. You do X number of X, X number of X and progressively increase the reps throughout the month. I like this one. It's called February Fives and the exercises change every morning, so I don't get bored ... but I will say they are progressively getting tougher. Today, whew, it was definitely a core workout. But that's okay, that's what I need. 

In the evening ... I am tackling Athleta's 30-day squat challenge. Now this has me progressively adding reps to squats ... with a rest day every fourth day. Today, I conquered 155 squats. Now the positive of all this weight training is I am starting to see some new muscle definition. No real weight-loss, but at least I am building strength. 

On a separate note, K scored a basket today at his basketball game. We were so proud. You see, K is awesome at defense and is great at assisting ... but he gets performance anxiety about actually trying to score a basket. So whenever he gets the ball near the basket, he tries to quickly pass it to a teammate. Yesterday, D and I talked to him about confidence, relinquishing his fear of failure and just going for it. Our little pep talk must have had at least a little bit of an effect, because today he played with more confidence, went after the ball and ... scored! Yay. 

Al-in-all, a good day. 


No comments: