Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Running and Cross-Training

The problem of getting out of the habit of posting updates on a blog ... it's really hard to get back into the habit. I fully intended to post about our race on Saturday ... but didn't.


It was cold. I have lots of layers on. I decided to try a run without the glasses to see what it was like. Probably not the smartest move to choose a run where I would need to keep my eyes on the road to watch for ice patches. Lesson learned. 

I actually felt pretty good for the first part of the run. Found a pace I could maintain, my lungs weren't burning. I staked out my secret pace partners. We were in it all together. Other than the ice thing, it was a model race. And then that damn hill right before the two-mile mark. Now, I remember the hill from last year ... but you sort of forget how bad things are. I just don't remember the hill being as steep as it actually was. My favorite was the woman next two me who commented, "that was a long two miles." I responded, "Especially when it ends going up hill." She laughed, we carried on. 

I kept my 11:30 minute pace for most of the race (I totally walked up the hill), and according to my GPS finished in about 37 minutes. Not my fastest time that is for sure ... but considering that I can't really train like I want to in the winter, I'm okay with it. But speaking of training, I am doing some cross-training type activities in the morning and at night. We'll see if that helps. Because, in a month ... I'll be running my first 5-miler. Yikes. 



No comments: