Friday, August 10, 2007

The Last Days of Summer


The heat beats down on us ferociously every day. The humidity so thick we can hardly breathe. Of course, the best way to beat the heat... water. Last weekend, K got his first boat ride and his first dip in the pool. He's an outside, summer kid. D and I might both be in serious trouble there. I take great pleasure in walking into my air conditioned nest. I just can't take the heat. I don't know if it's because I still have a ton of weight I could afford to drop or if as I age I become allergic to heat. But...

The sign that the end is near... the Minnesota State Fair. I love the fair, but not for the same reason that I think most people love the fair. True, you can't get in a better dose of people watching, or have an excuse to be a glutton of food that is so bad for you (all the walking does burn all those extra calories, right?). No, the reason I really love the fair is because it signals that fall is just around the corner. Autumn is the most beautiful time of year. The colors burst around us, vibrant, passionate. The smells - the air is full of fireplaces, a crisp breeze. The tastes - pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie, butternut squash ravioli. No this is the time of year that I live for.












No comments: