Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A Bridge Collapses


"Thank god you answered." My sister's voice was shaking.

"Why?" I asked, giving K his after school snack.

"The 35W bridge outside of Minneapolis just collapsed."

"Oh, I had the day off from work today."

My sister just escaped being on the bridge when it collapsed by 10 minutes. Normally, I'd have already left work anyone, but lately, I'd been working a few later nights, so I could have been on it when the catastrophe occurred. Things like this make you grateful to be alive, frightened for the unknown, and keeps phone lines tied up as everyone tries to check-in with their loved ones to make sure they are okay.

They'd been working on the bridge this summer, and how many times did I look out the bus window at the construction and get a little nervous, wondering how safe is this bridge that they are drilling big holes in and patching up. Tonight I got my answer, and not an answer I wanted to hear.

May your God be with you and your family tonight and every day. May tragedies like this be avoided always.




No comments: