Saturday, June 06, 2009

Sweet Simplicity of a Cupcake

There is something so purely divine about making cupcakes with a three-year-old. I don't know if it was his exaggerated excitement when I asked him if he wanted to do it, or his precision on helping put in the appropriate ingredients. But, it was the perfect activity for a rainy Saturday.

My sweet man counted the teaspoons of vanilla and the cups of cocoa like it was the most important job he could ever have. His eyes grew big with wonder as I turned the beater on and mixed everything with love.

Then, tackling the frosting of choice, I read that it needed to chill for two hours before frosting! So, fortunately, K went to take his nap and I got the frosting underway. But in perfect fashion, as soon as he woke up, he announced it and came running downstairs with anticipation. Could he frost the cupcakes now? Of course, and I even allowed him the extra treat of getting to put sprinkles on half of them.

The best part, though, was of course, that he got to devour one once it was all decorated. There's something about watching a little kid dig into a cupcake and just enjoying it with nothing but bliss on their face. It is moments like this that help remind me why we are here. Why we go through some of the ordeals we do. Why in the end, it really is all worth it.

1 comment:

Becky Thompson Nance said...

i can't wait to have those moments with my own bundle of joy! Reading your blog helps me put it all in perspective...thanks for 'keeping it real!'.