Sunday, April 24, 2011

For the Birds

Today was a beautiful spring day. We spent the morning and early afternoon with my parents and family and then returned home so that I could tend to laundry and other lovely domestic responsibilities. K wanted to play outside, so I decided it might be a good day to do a little yard work. I have a small flower garden on the side, that tries to thrive every year, and I will admit, I'm a tad neglectful when it comes to weeding.

However, K and I went full force in cleaning up the garden and seeing the little plants that were already making an appearance.Now, I think someone might have buried a bird or something in my garden, because there were these wings sticking straight up ... and let's be frank, I am not the type that was going to dig in and find out exactly what was lying underneath the dirt. I think I'll leave that for a day when my husband is outside doing yard work, too. Because ... as I have told him numerous times, when he said I do, the one thing he signed up for was dealing with all dead animals (since we've lived in this house that means he's had to deal with one dead rabbit we found on the side of our house and one dead mouse we found in our basement our first winter.)

Then I walked around the corner of the house just to do a quick look at everything else and I realized we had left our wreath from the fall still up by the front door. (Okay, I am going to blame our horrendous winter for the fact that yes, it was our autumnal wreath that was still up, not even a Christmas one.) So, I thought, today might be a good day to take down the wreath and fully embrace spring.

What in the h-e-double hockey sticks was I thinking?? I walked up the stairs and went to remove the wreath. Then bam! my life flashed before my eyes as this bird flew out of the wreath and dive-bombed toward my head. I ran faster than Flash Gordon screaming around my house (yes, I am sure all my neighbors who have company over because it is Easter, really enjoyed the entertainment) and told K to get on the deck in the back of the house. My heart was racing but I realized I needed to get the rest of the yard work done that I had committed to completing. So, after calming down, I returned to my side garden.

What couldn't have been more than 20 minutes passed, and I decided to bring our yard waste bin back into the garage ... I looked up at the front door. The bird had returned. She (or he) looked straight at me. I scuttled quickly to the garage and decided I had had enough of outside time for the day. D kept telling me I need to go take care of it ... and I kept trying to convince him that I think I might actually be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder ... because need I remind him ... IT FLEW DIRECTLY AT MY HEAD!

So, he looked out the front door, and the bird is still there. We think she (or he) probably has a nest in our wreath ... and because we are saps ... we'll, I guess we've decided that at least for now, we have a new resident at our address. But man, this day really did go to the birds!

No comments: