Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hitting the Pavement ... Again

So, after taking the winter off (and okay the winter/spring that we had in Minnesota) ... I tied on my running shoes and hit the pavement today. The weather was perfect for it, just cool enough to break a good sweat. It's kind of funny, I dread going out and running, but as soon as I am about ten minutes in, I find it peaceful. Of course, that's when the endorphins kick in. But I wish there was something that could just give you that push right at the beginning, then maybe I'd be all over it before I even started.

Last fall and early this spring, the city put some new running paths adjacent to our neighborhood. Today I tested them out. I have to say, I really don't think I can make any excuses now until it snows (and if they actually clear the paths ... then my only excuse will be sub-sub-zero temps. I do find it a great stress relief when my feet hit the pavement and my mind begins to wonder. And now, knowing that I don't have to worry about a car coming up behind me, the running is even more carefree.

... Now, when I returned home, what did I do? Whip up Ina Garten's rhubarb strawberry crisp (so maybe in today's cause running was  pre-emptive measure to what I will be treating myself to later. It's in the oven, and I'll take a pic to add to here later. Tomorrow I tackle my recipe from the June issue of Food Wine. I will confess, due to the disaster of May's recipe, I am playing it safe this month. I am tackling two recipes, but I feel like both are not pushing my culinary boundaries very far. As long as they turn out tasty though, that is all that will matter. Stay tuned for a report tomorrow.

No comments: