Monday, September 05, 2011

Getting into a New Routine

It's a big week for us. Our firstborn son will start kindergarten in two days. It's a major milestone that cannot be denied. So, like families across the state, it's time to settle into a routine. I took advantage of the long holiday weekend to do anything but stick to a routine. When I looked at our calendar and realized that from now until the end of October, we will have something scheduled on every weekend day ... I knew that I needed to monopolize on the ability to do nothing while I could.

But tonight kicks off the need for a routine to our routine. We've logged all our days on our calendar, the Fridays that we have school, the Mondays that we don't. Everything is labeled and packed in the backpack. I have the menu planned for his first lunch. We bought an organizer for his closet so that we could plan out his clothes for the week. (A brilliant idea I took from Parents magazine. Seriously ... I should probably do the same for myself except that most of my clothes I hang. But really, any parent out there, I encourage you to do this. It was nice to just take 15 minutes tonight and pick out his clothes for the whole week. It will make the getting ready for school routine so much easier for my husband.)

And now, I am sipping tea and realizing it's probably a good time to start some personal regular routines. Hop back on the yoga in the morning routine, the self reflection at night by blogging routine or just reading, or maybe getting my arse into writing my own novel! Seriously ... too many ideas right now to put pen to paper ... I think that's why I'm struggling, I don't know which one will be the most fun to explore.

Back to my original point ... When you send one kid off to school, it makes the snuggles with the baby even more precious, because in four years ... I'll be doing the same thing with him. Of course, K will be an old pro by then, and if we stay put, they'll be at the same elementary school for two years (I think) so I know that I'll be able to count on him to guide his little bro. So, happy 2011-2012 school season to all the parents out there. Tomorrow's a big day for most, and Wednesday's a big day for those of us who have M/W kindergartners!

No comments: