Saturday, September 10, 2011

New Beginnings - First Week of Kindergarten

This week brought a major life milestone at the house. It was K's first week of school. I was able to work from home on Wednesday, his official first day. We took photos (and apparently not fast enough for him at times ...) and made a special big breakfast. Everything was ready the night before and I had more than enough time to pack his lunch (the day does not start until 9:15 a.m.)

The excitement was obvious. He could not wait to see what this new adventure was going to bring. He couldn't get to the building fast enough. When we entered the room (the first week is the only time you are allowed to walk with them to their room w/o getting a visitor pass.) he quickly went to his cubby to put his stuff away. I was at first overwhelmed by the activity. You had to take their school supplies (that we had to meticulously label the week before) and put them in piles. I am guessing it's because they have tables, not desks and this helps keep only the items they need at their desk.

He sat down at his spot and tackled the coloring sheet the teacher had smartly put out to keep the kids entertained. He was ready to be done with us and dive into school. I looked at D, he stayed near the back of the room and let me deal with the small bit of chaos. We hugged our young man before we said our goodbyes and walked out the door.

As we walked out I looked at D. We'd both kept our composure in the room, but he was silent (even though O was a wiggly worm.) "How are you feeling?" I asked him. He looked at me and said, "I'll admit, it was a bit emotional for me." I smiled. Not surprised, this is the man who cried throughout our entire wedding ceremony.

...

At the end of the day, we picked up our newly minted Kindergartner. He had a great day and was excited to share all that he had done. The first thing he told me was how he made a new friend, and that he'd seen some of his friends from this summer during lunchtime. Then he told us how they did math and got to visit the library. His enthusiasm permeated the car ride home.

Yeah ... I can only hope the enthusiasm lasts the whole year ... and that each day he tells me about another exciting adventure. Here's to kindergarten!

No comments: