Friday, September 02, 2011

Fall into Fall

It's here, the air is crisp, the sky has a slight haze of gray, and you can already see Halloween decor on display. It's amazing how quickly my favorite time of year can swoop in. I'm thrilled and yet, this fall will be a whirlwind of activity ... but before I get to that ...I have to reflect on the farewell to summer event.

We went to the state fair this week ... just us four. It's the first time just the four of us went (okay, that's not too hard to believe since O isn't even two!) We got up early to try to avoid the crowds in some of the more popular buildings. When we got to the fair, we decided to make our way to the animal buildings first. On our way to the cow building ... we walked by the milking demonstration and they called out for volunteers for butter carving. K was in the action at no time. During the contest, he concentrated very hard on his creation. Fortunately, the guy judging asked the six kids to explain what they had carved. The only child's who was probably recognizable without their description won first place. I have to say, I was pretty impressed that K with his alien truck got third place. And his very own state fair ribbon! It was really perhaps the best way to start the day.

We enjoyed a few nibbles of food and walked around. K tried out every fun house, and I took O down the junior big slide. (Yes, walking up the stairs is an unfair and grueling activity ... they really make you earn that ride going down.) It was a nice way to bid adieu to the summer and jump into my favorite time of year ...

Which leads me to the fair that I am not really going to know where this autumn is going to go ... in looking at my calendar between K's football games and both boys' swimming lessons ... I will not have a free day on the weekend until November - that is pure craziness. And later this week brings a major milestone known as that first day of Kindergarten ... my baby is growing up and I've got just five more days to prepare for him to truly become a big boy and enter school. How any parent can completely prepare for this is beyond me - but I guess all we can do is love them and prepare them to the best of our ability.

Autumn ... please don't go by too fast, please!

No comments: