Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Overprotective Parent

We. are. overprotective. parents. We know this, we fully admit it, and we are not ashamed about it. So, how do overprotective parents deal with the dilemma of a summer where there are many potential play dates?

We stress.

Yesterday, when I got home  D asked me if he could tell me about a phone call he received and if I would tell him how I would've handled the situation. Apparently one of K's classmates called. As in, the six-year-old classmate - not the parent. They wanted K to come over for a sleepover. D was taken a bit off guard, so he asked the child if he could speak to their parent.

He then proceeded to tell me how the parent was very high energy, and started talking about the kids having a play date and sleepover ... but she did come to and realize that ... well, it might be good if we got to know the parents first. After much finagling on a date, they settled on this Friday. (D admitted that he was initially aiming to schedule the play date on a weekend so that I would have to be the parent to go.)

I told him that all of his red flags were the exact same ones I was going to have, and then I asked him the question he knew was coming, but was deeply dreading ... "So, you're planning on staying there during the play date right?"

Okay, okay, I know ... it's probably a bit much ... but I do expect him to stay for at least the first portion to make sure he feels comfortable. He acknowledged that he felt the same way, but was hoping that I wouldn't have said it. I mean, it's our baby, and I only leave him to those I know and have developed serious trusting relationships. Hell, I'll probably make him take me on any dates he goes on in high school. (Okay, I may be exaggerating ... but then again, maybe not!)

So, I'll be holding my breathe all day on Friday, until I know he is back safe and sound.

No comments: