Saturday, June 23, 2012

Trying to Change the World - One Plate at a Time

Lately, I've been obsessed with watching documentaries about food, the health of the nation and the tragedy that is our American plates. D isn't super thrilled, because I think he is afraid of what it could lead to (remember, we have the kid who read the labels at soccer practice for high fructose corn syrup ...)

But one thing we've been doing for a while is meatless Mondays. (There was a phase pre-kids where we were eating vegetarian, but then once I got pregnant with K, we reintroduced meat into our diets.) Meatless Mondays though to tend to pose an issue when it comes to cooking dinner for D. I appreciate everything he does ... but meal planning is not a strength. He's a great cook, and I'm fortunate that he does the cooking (but I like to cook, so even if he didn't, it would be okay.) However, he's gotten a little lackadaisical when it has come to our meals lately. So, we were going to try to plot our next week's meals on Thursday but ended up forgetting that master plan.

So, you can only imagine my delight when I found this at the bookstore:
It maps out every Monday for the year, arranged by season. And while I would have been fine with just dinner recipes, it gives you meals for the whole day. So, we're going to give the book a try, (of course, it helps that the first recipe for summer is eggplant parmigiana. I'll let you know how it goes, if the recipes are even half as good as the photography, we'll be in good shape!
Here's to helping change the world one plate at a time and eating a little healthier every week.

No comments: