Monday, September 03, 2012

The Night Before

Now that I have a school-aged child, I have another special occasion to mark the passing of time: the first day of school. There is something so delightful about the excitement and energy that that fills the air. The joy of a new adventure. It's sort of unfortunate that we don't mark a new work year with this excitement, new pencils, crayons, a new outfit, new shoes (of course, I suppose we sprinkle those things throughout the year once we are an adult.)

Getting K ready for the first grade is all quite exciting. Perhaps the most exciting thing was when he woke up this morning and told me how he had a great dream about school. He proceeded to tell me all the details and his enthusiasm grew. I am hoping it's a sign of a great year ahead - a year where he is appropriately challenged and encouraged. (If not, D and I will need to determine what our new plan will be ... because we need our son to be challenged, otherwise, boredom takes over, and he just rushes so he can be done.

I took inventory of all his clothing last night and started my routine of picking out his clothes for the week. It's a nice routine, but one I didn't do during the summer. Of course, their school day doesn't start until 9:15, so it doesn't really help them in a rushed morning, but I figure if I can get him in the habit young, why not?

I decided to celebrate a new school year by cutting off five inches of my hair and getting some new bangs. I've been sporting long locks for a couple years now, and while my hair is still considered long, it definitely feels good to have a more stylish cut for the fall. I also treated my self to a genuine British tweed jacket.
Of course, we'll see how much I like it when it arrives and I can try it on in person.

O is in for an interesting year now that K won't be here every other day. Or maybe I should say D is in for an interesting year ... Last year, he had K around to entertain O so he could have a break ... this year, it will be just the two of him while K is at school ... yep, it's going to be an interesting year indeed.

And of course, football season is officially upon us ... not just the NFL or college ... but flag football. Every weekend will now be full of games. I'm looking forward to cheering my little man on and sitting with a warm cup of hot cocoa or cider as the season progresses. It's the small comforts that really make me love this time of year!!

No comments: