Saturday, September 01, 2012

The State of the State Fair

Leave it to us to pick the hottest day of the month to go to the State Fair ... but alas, it was the date we picked and we were on our way.


Most buildings don't open until 9 a.m., so we decided that our goal would be to leave around 8:30. Every year, we park at one of the free shuttles, so that we can take a bus to the fair - it saves us the parking fee ... and the hassle of having to maneuver with all the traffic. This year, we made the decision to rent a stroller at the fair for $15 instead of lugging our own stroller. So, getting on the bus was even easier this year.

We arrived a little after 9 and entered the gate right by the Dairy Building. So, our first mission, D wanted a caramel apple sundae. Once the boys were settled and sharing their Sunday, we walked around the building and then were off to get the stroller. Okay, so maybe coming on Senior Day and deciding to rent a stroller wasn't the wisest choice. Because everyone else was renting scooters. So, after about a half hour in line, we were finally on our way.

Next stop, D had to get this breakfast sandwich. The ultimate Elvis - a peanut butter, banana grilled sandwich coated in powder sugar. The sandwich was his demise, it was so sweet, it sort of made him off-kilter the rest of the day from an eating perspective. K enjoyed a chocolate sandwich. We then walked around many of the buildings. It was so hot, that I took samples from both win slushie booths. While not a huge fan of either (cheap wine, definitely too tanniny for me) they were refreshing.

While I won't give a long winding list of the variety of foods we tried, I did try the lamb fries. Also known as lamb testicles. I had the grilled version, as they were gluten-free. They were cooked in a variety of delicious spices from The Holy Land booth. I didn't know what to expect, especially from a textural standpoint. I sort of think it was all about the spices. But I figured, how often was I going to get to try something like this. So I went for it.


They were really good (again, it's the spices). No one else wanted to try them. (K did see a picture of the fried ones and wanted those ... but alas, I wasn't going to wait in line again.)

The other main food item worth calling out was the wine smoothie. It is made with a raspberry wine from St. Croix vineyards.

It was good, I wanted more. But I'm not sure if that was the heat talking or the smoothie. I've had the wine before, and it's a very sweet dessert wine. The smoothie definitely beat out the free wine slushie samples from the day. So, I'll give it to that. Not sure if it was worth the price though (then again, I can't remember how much it cost.)

Overall, it was a lovely day. The breeze kept the heat bearable, the boys had a fantastic time (even winning a prize at the midway.) The only disappointment was that there was a fitovers booth (y'know, my sexy sunglasses that fitover my regular glasses.) Even though I had a pair on my head, apparently the women didn't think I was their target market, they ignored me, when I asked for help, they were abrupt and rude. I walked away and they didn't get the sale ... which is too bad, because I definitely needed a new pair.

And now ... it's Labor Day weekend ... and the unofficial end of summer ... which means ... the unofficial start to FALL!!!

No comments: