Saturday, June 22, 2013

Clearing My Head

This morning I think I finally understood what people say when they comment that running helps clear their head. Saturdays are my three-mile run days (because that is usually the day I run my 5k races) and there came a point where I really was thinking about nothing. My head was completely clear ... and it was peaceful. Slightly euphoric. I may finally be getting the runner high. It only took a year and a half of slow training and six months of more focused running because of the great B & D 5k challenge.

Of course, right at the moment of bliss ... some small wild animal ran across my running path and jolted me into reality. But I guess that's a reminder of how life can be: smooth sailing for a bit and then a bump (or in this case a beaver or something ... I wish I knew what it was ... the size of a cat, dark brown, fuzzy and fast.)

In other news it's soccer tournament weekend! This weekend is always a bit dreadful for the mess it creates out of traffic. But due to some severe storms that ripped through the area last night, many games were postponed to other fields or moved to later times. So, today wasn't so bad ... unfortunately I don't know what it means for tomorrow's game, so will just have to wait and see.

We found a soccer program for O ... our rambunctious three-year-old. So, we'll sign the little guy up and see how it goes. And K has officially (or at least for today) decided he'd rather play soccer than football this fall ... and he'd like to keep up tennis for the summer. I am curious to see how long the boys keep up the joy of sports ... will it be forever or will it taper off when they get to high school (like it did for me)? Or does the fact that D and I run races and infuse the importance of exercise and activity help encourage them to stay active?

Hope that everyone is enjoying summer, now that it is officially here!

No comments: