Friday, June 14, 2013

Wanna Be on TV?

Today was one of those days. Where you start out on a high note ... crash down to a low note ... get grounded back into what's important ... have some fun ... and then relax in preparation for a busy weekend.

I was reminded today that no matter what leadership says about pushing boundaries, trying new things, taking risks ... at the end of the day ... when you work for corporate America ... it's still corporate America. I won't go into the details, but will just say I am deeply disappointed in a lot of things ... I know I'm not alone ... and it once again started the contemplative flame of determining what will truly make me feel fulfilled. My job is often like a roller coaster and I just have to acknowledge right now is one of those grueling moments and if I persevere the high times will come again.

Onto the fun part (because, frankly, that's just more fun.) Today, D and I tried out for a reality show. I won't divulge the show at this point (not sure if that would be a big no-no.) But it's one of those DIY home improvement shows where you get a professional to guide you through things and you work with in a budget. There will be lots of fine print if we sign up for it, that we know (taxes, some of our own out-of-pocket expenses, our house being in disarray ... and on TV). However, D and I decided let's just go for it. If nothing else, we can say we auditioned for a TV show.

The young producers who game to the show to tape our audition were pleasant and provided us the info and guided us through the process. And then they turned on their camera. D froze. As in, the witty and charming man I deal with every moment was replaced with a befuddles, tongue-tied goofball. So, what did I do. I had to take over. I don't know what happen ... suddenly, I became this larger-than-life contestant on HGTV Design Star doing my on-camera challenge. Seriously, that is what I felt like. And the producer's smile just encouraged me to keep going. I walked around our kitchen explaining what I hated about it and tried to be witty (oh, lord, why did I try to be witty?) Alas, I think we did okay. (And based on the episodes we've watched ... Daniel's personality would be just fine.)

They're just gathering applicants and hope to get back to us within 30 days ... so now, we'll wait and see ... if TV is where we're meant to be or if we need to stop making excuses and just start working on our own home.

At the end of the day ... I sit back, sip some Rose and am grateful that I learned some lessons today and can start fresh tomorrow.


No comments: