Sunday, August 18, 2013

It's a Sweaty World

Today I embarked on a new challenge. I did yoga outside of the comfort of my living room. As in, I took a yoga class. But, you know, you gotta add a twist, so I didn't just take any yoga class. I took a sweat yoga class. As in the room is so hot you have to remind yourself to breath and be okay that you are just dripping, dripping, dripping.

A colleague of mine sent me a link to a sweet groupon for the studio. As I've often pondered trying out a class, for the cost of three classes, I actually got 20. I wasn't sure what to expect. I read the website diligently on what to bring besides a yoga mat. A regular towel, a hand towel and a bottle of water. Post-class, I will tell you all three are really necessary.

I like sweating. It's one of those rewarding things after running that make me feel like it was worth it. I sweat pretty easily, so I think it's my body's way of reinforcing the small effort in a way to build to bigger efforts. The class was nice and quiet, so you could concentrate on your practice. The instructor was good, and guided you through. The hour went by pretty quickly. There was only one pose I really couldn't do even at the beginner level. (Very tight hamstrings or super inflexibility, I guess.)

It was fun to sweat. To be in a class with others, no judging, no competition, just knowing you'll working toward a common goal. I needed to feel like I accomplished something today, because yesterday's run was terrible. Not sure what was up, but I just couldn't get into a groove. Slightly concerning since I have a race in a week. But mentally, I'll spend the rest of the week preparing, we'll see what happens.

Namaste.

No comments: