Saturday, August 17, 2013

School Supplies

Today we tackled the school supply list. 

As did many others. 

Next year, I need to remind myself to tackle the list earlier. 

You see ... K needed a yellow folder ... we got the last yellow folder they had. He also needed three wide-ruled notebooks. We got the only three we could find ... unfortunately for him they all are blue. Not that that is bad, but the kid likes variety ... sort of. For all his other school supplies, he intentionally chose green or black. Green binder, green folder, green post-its. 

Now, we're on the search for a super slick lunch bag and some cool new duds. 

It's hard to believe school will be here in just a couple weeks. My baby is entering the second grade. He's an elementary school pro. He admits he's a little nervous, and says he's a little shy and that's why he's nervous. He's a lot like me there. Not the one to put themselves out there at first, but as soon as he gets comfortable ... he owns the crowd. I'm nervous and excited for him, too. 

This is also the year that his school has to prove itself. Last year we started peripherally looking at new schools for K. But if we don't see dramatic improvement and more engagement from the school, we'll be taking advantage of the state's open enrollment policy to the hilt. We didn't get in the charter school we applied for, but there are a few other options that definitely are more appealing lately. Oh, did I mention that there's just a couple weeks left and his school hasn't sent the teacher assignments. 

There's a PTO meeting next week, and I can't wait to go and find out the average time teacher assignments are sent out. I gave the principal a pass last year, since it was his first year. He's not new anymore. I expect better, I expect performance. I expect teachers who are as passionate about my child's success as I am. Yes, I will be that parent. If you show me your dedicated, I will be your best friend. I will volunteer when you need it, and will help you out ... but if I get half-assed dedication ... I'll be that parent. It's a partnership, but last year I had to deal with K's reading teacher who was clearly a half-asser. Not again. 

Okay ... that was a bit of venting. But when you're raising a genius ... you expect the best. 

No comments: