Friday, August 23, 2013

The End of Summer

If you've read my blog in the past, you know that one annual event I particularly look forward to is the Minnesota State Fair.

First of all, if you are even the slighted bit into people watching ... there is rarely an event that brings such a diverse array of people into one place. And it's hot and sunny, so you also know that you're going to see how the overdose of vitamin D affects said people. Kids will forgo naps, get amped up on unhealthy food, and drive their parents crazy ... yeah, it's that kind of good quality fun.

This year ... we are going to the fair twice. We went the first day, aka Thrifty Thursday. The one good thing about this day is that the entrance tickets are cheaper and so are tickets to things like the Midway. It's one of the designated Senior Days, so you have to be a little more patient for those fair goers who might be a little slower.

Everyone has their own way of doing the fair. And one thing I've learned about being married is that when you have to merge two types of fair goers ... well, it can be tricky. It's actually not so bad when it's just D, me and the boys. It's when we add our extended family that it gets a little hairy.

So, on Thursday we went with D's family. We spent a long day at the fair ... perhaps the longest we've ever spent. And I think we saw the least I've ever seen at the fair. Whereas I grew up as a go and see every building and walk through the exhibits and absorb all that is the fair. D's family was more of a hit a specific building or two, eat specific food and hang out at the Midway. (Almost the opposite of my family!) So, when we merge, it can be a bit of an interesting blend.

Therefore, I'm actually glad that we are going again, because I think even D felt like we missed out on Thursday. I think I've gotten him used to actually walking through the buildings and exhibits. I will say D did make sure we stopped at the Horticulture building on Thursday, since he knows it is my favorite building. Of course, we are starting our Sunday at the fair by running their Milk Run 5k. Now, I am not sure how thrilled I will be being at the fair in sweaty clothes, so I'll be bringing a change of attire. And hopefully, I will be able to find some place somewhat convenient to change.

My mom has graciously agreed to go to the fair with us to watch the boys (our original plan for the boys fell through, and is too complicated to even begin to go into at this point.) So, I'm grateful that she's agreed to watch them, but we'll be doing things a little different on Sunday, having learned our lesson on Thursday for certain smaller fair goers in our family.

But, back to the original point. The other reason I really love the State Fair is because it signifies the end of summer. Now, I enjoy summer as much as I can ... but I love autumn. And if it comes a little early and stays a little later ... than that is okay by me. Orchards, sweaters, pumpkin treats galore ... I mean, Caribou already has their pumpkin treats out ... I can't wait for the crisp air to begin to arrive!

No comments: