Thursday, August 29, 2013

An Injury, A Race and a Good Samaritan

I've had a bit to blog about, but due to an unfortunate incident, I've been reluctant to write. That incident is called trampoline dodge ball. You see, I've been reluctant to right because I jammed (maybe fractured) my right pinkie finger. So, since last Saturday night I have had my pinkie finger splinted to my right finger ... in essence giving me only three functioning fingers on my right hand. Yes, I'm right-handed. Yes, this sucks.

Now, I might actually gain some cool street cred when I tell people the injury is a result of trampoline dodge ball (because I am sure my appearance does not lead one to believe I would engage in such sport) but let's be real. It's due to m klutzy non-athleticism that my finger swelled to twice its size and my knuckles were black and blue. It's now Thursday and the swelling is down, the bruising is almost all gone ... but the pain still occurs more than I'd like it to. It's put a damper on me returning to hot yoga. I can't do that until the hand is healed. Boo.

I did run though. On Sunday. In crazy heat. D and I did the Milk Run at the Minnesota State Fair. At 7:45 it was already above 80 degrees. The course was a hilly beast. It made me feel better that D told me he thought it was a rough course. However, I shaved 6 seconds off my time! Now, that might not seem like much, but the course was tough and it was hot and I walked a bit. So knowing that I still shaved time ... well ... that's pretty awesome in my book.

There are definitely good Samaritans out there. This morning on my way to work, I was at an intersection, and the man in the car next to me was frantically trying to get my attention. He informed me that my taillights were out, but my brake lights were working. So, when I got home I had D investigate it. There was quite a bit of trying to explain taillights versus brake lights, because D kept telling me the lights were working (but the taillights weren't). After some google research and an initial trip to the auto shop, we discovered when D replaced my brake lights back in May ... he got the wrong kind of bulb. He had replaced them with single filaments but the car needed double filaments. This means I have been driving without taillights SINCE MAY! I cannot believe no one has said anything to me sooner. So, I am truly grateful to the man this morning ... because we all know how much I enjoyed getting pulled over back in May.

Finally, this week K and I went to his open house to meet his new teacher. He was quite nervous about second grade because his best friend has a different teacher. However, once the teacher walked him around the room to show him the other names of the kids in the class ... all was right in the world. He was so relieved to recognize many names. The teacher gave us homework already, but I appreciated the assignment. We are to write her a letter about our child. Of course, I'm an overachiever, so she'll probably get more than she bargained for with my letter, but oh well. D said it was a pretty impressive letter, so I hope she likes it, too.

Well, I've typed for about as much as my hand can take. Hard to believe summer is coming to an end. Now ... where is my Tylenol?

No comments: