Friday, April 23, 2010

Overprotective?

I had an interesting chat with a colleague of mine today. We were talking about what it's like being managers and the trials and tribulations this person had experienced their first year as a manager. The conversation went on for a bit and then this person informed me that was "very protective" of my direct reports.

It made me pause for a moment. Am I too protective, or am I just a strong advocate. Let's note that this person informing this was a beneficiary of my being an advocate for them. They are oblivious to how I had to very firmly stand my ground and be a strong advocate during some serious professional decisions. So, I found it somewhat amusing that they would choose to accuse me of standing up for my team and being too protective now.

So ... should a manager be protective of their team? This person informed me that they at first felt that way ... but decided that if their team wouldn't take their own initiative and put themselves out on a limb, they would have to fend for themselves. Well, I do agree with the initiative thing. I like go-getters, people who take control and are accountable for themselves. But I've been in positions where you put yourself out there and your boss lets you take the fall. And it's not great. There are two schools of thought on this. The first, how else will you learn if you don't fend for yourself. The second, as managers, you are there to help navigate obstacles and be there for your team. I think both schools have valid perspectives.

Of course, one thing that I do find very interesting is how many leaders don't feel like they should make any accommodations for their team. How following a template/same course of action is how you are successful. But I do believe that true leaders know that everyone is different and so how you manage people should change to fit that persons need. How you recognize people should adjust to fit that individual. Now, I'm not saying a manager should be a pushover, I believe it's a game of give and take ... I'm just surprised how many people are only takers.

No comments: