Thursday, April 29, 2010

What I Anticipate Future Parent Conferences to Be Like

Teacher: Mr. and Mrs. D, I'd like to talk about your son. He's a very good conversationalist in class. In fact, he never stops talking.

Yes, I anticipate that we will probably hear this from many teachers about both K and O. I'll never forget when K was just a baby and we brought him in for a post-ear infection check up. It wasn't our usual nurse ... and the first thing she said after checking his ear was, "wow, this one's going to be a talker, isn't he." Mind you, this was when all he did was babble and gurgle. But her prediction was right on. K is one of the most articulate, inventive four-year-olds on the block. He loves to talk, just to hear himself talk.

Apparently, this is a genetic trait that runs in the family. O is the same way. The other day, he actually woke me up because he was babbling so much in his crib. No cries of I'm hungry, come feed me. Instead, it was like he was trying to present a rationale for why I should come to him and provide him breakfast. You can already see both the boys trying to make sure they get their voice heard over the other one. It's hilarious, entertaining and I wouldn't change it. I'm just preparing now for what I will probably hear every year for the next 18 years.

No comments: