Thursday, April 15, 2010

Running Away

I have decided to try to take up running. The initial reason was because I thought it might be a good de-stresser. You always hear runners talk about the rush they get from the endorphins, or how it clears their mind. The side benefits would be a) I get a little healthier and b) I shed the baby tire that has so elegantly circled my gut. It was also a good excuse to get new running shoes (my current pair of shoes were almost 15 years old ... good thing I didn't run in them!!!) See my fancy runners above.

So, today was the second day of my training. I'm doing Podrunners Intervals. So far, so good. The running part is easy, it's the walking that I feel in my body. Clearly, I'm not doing something right. Seeking counsel, I asked a colleague of mine at work who runs multiple marathons a few questions about form. She provided some guidance (and revealed she used to teach a learning to run class, so I know I hit the jackpot.) I've come to the conclusion, I really need to stretch out my calf muscles and feet and ankle muscles better. I'm hoping I can stick to this regime (it's only three days a week). I'd like to be a physically fit person who gets physically fit doing something they like. I didn't think running would be it, but I have to say, I'm finding it more enjoyable then my exercise DVDs at the moment. Maybe it's just the spring weather and the fact that this past winter I was more housebound than normal.

I also think that genetically, I should be predisposed to be a runner. I have an aunt and an uncle who are serious runners (we're talking Boston Marathon-type runners, here). And D was a cross-country runner in high school ... so maybe I inherited his passion for running through the process of osmosis. Ha! I doubt it, but at least for now I can take 45 minutes of my day to do a little run/walk training. It's nine weeks to run a 5k. If I do that successfully, I'll move myself up to the 8K. Then to a 10K. I don't see myself running a marathon any time in the future ... but maybe, just maybe, one day I can get myself convinces to run a half-marathon. My best friend's been doing it for a while, and I have a bunch of friends who can run them in their sleep.

Here's to hitting the pavement and setting my stride!

1 comment:

KK said...

Good luck! I am jealous that the running comes easily to you - I'm still working on that mile. :)