Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day. For me, it is a day that has formed it's own tradition, as my husband and I do the Race for the Cure walk. This year, we had a mini, but mighty team, including both my sisters and both of our moms.

Of course, today at work, everyone was asking all the mom's about their Mother's Day, and it revealed that there are two very different camps on how this day should be "celebrated." The first camp is the one that I fall in. It's the group that spends the day enjoying those that have bestowed upon you the honor of being their mother. It's snuggling with their kids, going out to eat with their family and relishing the greatest job in the world.

The other camp is completely on the opposite end of the spectrum. This is the camp that look at the day as their excuse to get away from their family. I have one colleague who definitely fell into this camp. She glowed as she explained how she and 15 of her friends got together -- all kid free -- and had a party and exchanged gifts. She said it was just such a nice break to be able to just go out with only  her purse and no diaper bag.

I found it interesting. I don't think either camp has the better approach to the day. I just found it fascinating how there are such different perspectives on what they day meant and how it should be celebrated. I think it might provide some insight into how people view their job of motherhood. But also, maybe I am just lucky because if I want to go out with the girls, I don't need to wait for one day out of the year. (Of course, I know for a fact, that neither does my colleague ... but I will not be one to judge.)

No comments: