Monday, May 31, 2010

3D - worth it?

Yesterday, K and I went to go see a movie about a certain green ogre in 3D. It was my first 3D movie (but not K's. D took him how to see the dragon training flick when it came out. So, yeah, the kid's probably seen more movies in theaters than me this year.) I'm also on call for work this weekend, to add to a layer of complexity. I knew I was playing the odds that I could sit through a whole movie. Funny thing, on D and my anniversary when we went to go see that Sandy B flick, I was on call then to. Maybe I need to be on call more often, then I'll go to the movies more frequently.

Back to the point ... so K and I went to the theater, he picked out his treats and we got settled in our seats. I like to sit in the middle higher up. My son took a little convincing on that ground. "I think we're too high up," he said for the first couple minutes. With our special glasses on, we watched the movie. It was a neat effect, but nothing that made me jump out of my seat and go "oooh" (which the women behind us said every single time."

Then, of course, my on call phone rang (on vibrate so as not to disturb other movie-goers).  I listened to the message, because I could not hit answer fast enough. Seriously tragic emergency, so I had to move K to the front of the theater and sit him down so that I could go off to the side and take care of business, watch him and allow him to still enjoy the movie. He was such a little grown up sitting there watching the movie. When I was able to rejoin him, he just smiled at having me back and kept on watching the ogre mayhem. It was one of those proud mommy moments. The one that makes your heart melt because you realize your baby is really growing up.

So, is 3D worth it? I'm not sure, but I did notice that practically every movie K would have an interest in seeing is coming out in 3D, which means an extra $4 a movie ticket. Blech.

No comments: