Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Protective Mother

I'm not a mother who enjoys it when other people fawn over my children. The oohs and aahs of strangers telling me how beautiful my babies are doesn't make me beam with delight and smile proudly. To be honest, I wish they'd mind their own business. Yes, my children are beautiful. Of course, I would think they are. So, when I have people stop and stare at my children, I tend to shift uncomfortable and if they make a comment, you'll usually get a quickly mumbled, "thank you." All in hopes that they will move on.

Now, when K was a baby, I had many an encounter where strangers would inquire as to where he was from, or bluntly ask if he was mine. O doesn't look as Asian as his big brother. No his features tend to favor me more than D's. So, I haven't encountered anyone asking me if I had adopted my son this go around. But I did have a slightly, less-than-comfortable situation this weekend.

On Saturday, as I was waiting for D and K to get to the front of the grocery store where I was waiting with O for them, a woman approached me. She made the typical comments, what a precious baby he was. I provided the typical delightful responses, "He's four months ... thank you ..." etc. She then made a comment that absolutely annoyed me. She said, "Well, this baby has already gotten lots of sun this summer, just look at his beautiful olive skin tone." I was immediately annoyed and pissed off. I don't think she meant it in a spiteful way. I really don't. But I took it as though she was saying I was out there baking my baby. So, I quickly retorted, "Actually, he's half Asian." Then, I saw D and quickly gave him the "get your arse over here" look.

I am sure that in some ways, I offended the woman, but I wish people could just mind their own business. I don't sit there and stare at other people's children. (Okay, I do tend to take a little bit of an interest in other Hapa babies, but it's because I find the combination results so fascinating.) I don't think I'll ever be the women that shower strangers' children with affection. Maybe I should just bit my tongue, but I think it's a tad creepy when people show too much of an interest in my children. Maybe I'm overprotective.

1 comment:

Becky said...

we've gotten a few 'his coloring is beautiful' comments, and it's always when Larry is not with me! I'm never quite sure what they mean, but I'm pretty sure they're not trying to be insulting. It's a little wierd though!