Monday, May 10, 2010

Time for a Break?

Sometimes I will get hit with a philosophical thought at the most random place. This one hit me on Sunday afternoon, when both D and I were completely exhausted and wanted nothing more than to take a nap. It made me think about roles and parenting and jobs. Of course, as you  may know, D works very hard as a stay-at-home-dad. I put in my hours at the office to bring home some sort of financial stability.

The thought struck me that at the end of the day, both parents need, deserve to take a break ... but do either really get one? The one who is home all day, shouldn't be expected to carry on and take care of the kids still all night. And the parent who is at the office all day, is on stage all day has to come home and put their best face forward to help relieve their partner in the evening. It's crazy, unless the kids are asleep, neither person truly gets to unwind. That is why bedtime is such a precious time.

While I am getting both boys ready for bed, I know that in a half hour, I'll be able to relax, put my feet up and maybe actually decompress from the day. Spend some time talking to my husband and just be enveloped in love. That is if everything goes accordingly to plan. As long as there wasn't some disagreement about something (something probably very petty) that derails the whole plan for the evening and the break we really need to take is just from ourselves. Because, after ten years together, we know that sometimes you just need your space. (Like tonight, when he saw my shorthand note about this blogging subject and thought that I had a much more controversial opinion on the matter than I actually do ... )

No comments: