Saturday, January 15, 2011

Oh Focaccia!

One of my goals for 2011 is to cook at least one recipe from each issue of Food & Wine this year. I'm excited, because it gives me a challenge and I do love cooking and baking. Last weekend, I decided to tackle my choice from January's issue: Focaccia with Caramelized Onions, Pear and Blue Cheese.

I love bread, I love onions, I love pears and I love blue cheese -- it was like a recipe from the heavens it couldn't possibly  have been more perfect. The photo looked appetizing and the recipe seemed pretty straight forward. Of course, I knew this wasn't something the men in my house would look forward to, D told me I should pick recipes that I would enjoy for myself and not apologize. So, I did just what he said.

Here's the bread dough resting and rising. There's something very satisfying about kneading bread dough and then watching it expand.

After about an hour, I spread it out in my pan and "dimpled" it. After another resting time, I drizzled extra virgin olive oil all over it.


Then it was time to add the three essential toppings for the bread: caramelized onions (I will confess, I had to do two batches, because I burnt the first attempt), a lovely Bosc pear, and blue cheese (who knew mold would be so divine?)

My anticipation grew while the break baked in the oven. The looks of skepticism grew on the faces of D and K. O just sat in his high chair entertained by me talking through each stem as though I was on a cooking show and he was my live crowd.
I thought it was amazing - the flavors complemented each other so well. The texture of the bread itself was perfect. I was proud that January was a success. At least for my taste buds. D and K each took a bite. K had a few more, but he replied, "it's not my kind of pizza, mom." D said, "Guess I'll be having ramen for dinner." Alas, I could have predicted their response. But ... maybe for February, I'll try to pick something that I think we'll all like!

1 comment:

hadley said...

This looks delish! I might need the recipe and I can't wait to find out what you will make in Feb!