Saturday, January 01, 2011

What's Ahead for 2011

Well ... like many bloggers, I could use today to reflect on the past or look forward. So, I think I will just share some of the goals I have decided to give myself in 2011. Perhaps, by writing them down, it will allow me to stick to them better.

The first thing I want to focus on is continuing to gather quality family time. I was lucky I had enough vacation stored to be able to take most of the last two weeks off. It was lovely, and we all had so much time. I think Monday morning will be a little rough for everyone.

I will continue on my get healthy, get fit journey. I've lost 25 pounds so far, but I really do have another 40 to go if I want to be at my optimum health. So, here's my commitment to having taken the last month off to really getting in the zone. I'll stay inside for the next few months, but I will take my running shoes with me to Mexico, and I plan to run every day there as my kick-off to re-entering my running program. I loved it, but when you get off track ... it can be so easy to stay off track.

I want to cook at least one recipe from every issue of Food & Wine this year. I love the magazine, and dream about making the stuff, but now that I've announced it to D ... I will make at least one recipe from each issue. And I'll let you know how it goes. I've marked three contenders for January.

I will bake at least one scrumptious dessert a month. I purchased the new cookbook from the gents who own Baked ... and it was one of the most delicious cookbooks to just read. I've already knocked out one of the recipes (okay, it was probably the easiest one in the book ...) for no-bake cookies. And it was great. So here's to happy desserts once a month. Why the big cooking/baking goals. I realized I find them so completely therapeutic. Cooking and baking just help soothe my soul. So I need to do more of it. It was something I explored a lot when I was on leave last year and then when I returned to work, it just fell to the side due to time.

I will start to like my job ... or I will go out and find one that I do like. This might be easier than I initially think, as I will be working on this in full force already next week. It may mean relocating the family if that's what it would take, but D is on board. I need to feel valued and not taken for granted. I need to be more upfront about how I feel about how I'm being valued at work. I think it's hard when you've been at one place for so long not to feel like you are taken for granted. This needs to be corrected in 2011.

I will continue trying to chip away at the 1001 books I need to read before I die. I may take the list off the side of the blog and just post it each time I cross more books of my list (because editing the list on this site ... well, I haven't found an easy way to do it.) I've read some great books that I know I wouldn't have picked up on my own if it weren't for that list. Like Zadie Smith's On Beauty. A story about race in the modern day, perceptions of a multi-racial family, loyalty, faithfulness. It was brilliant. But I never would have read it on my own ... I'd never heard of it.

I will try to be better about blogging when I have a good story to tell. Because, heck, when you are the mother of two boys who keep you constantly on the go ... working in corporate America ... and contemplating everything life throws at you ... you know there's a good story at least once a week!

So, tell me ... what's ahead for you in 2011?

No comments: