Friday, January 28, 2011

Nanny McPhee and Other Movies

Tonight, K, D and I watched Nanny McPhee Returns. Okay, we are that kind of gushy movie family, where simple pleasures put a smile on our face and we enjoy a nice moral to the story. (And D liked the fact that this one starred Maggie Gyllenhal and not Colin Firth.)

My favorite part of the movie was how they connected it to the first movie. I won't give it away, but it was so subtle and wonderful.

Another movie I recently enjoyed was Black Swan. Yes, yes, I know most people I've talked to really don't understand what all the fuss has been about. But there was something with the simple, psychotic horrors and chills that are what made it fantastic. I liked how it made me close my eyes on what would seemingly not be a horror scene. I enjoyed watching the evolution and not know what was reality or when I was just participating in the crazy mind games of Ms. Portman's character. It's been a while since I've seen a movie that kept me thinking about it for days later ... analyzing bits and pieces.

Here's to good movies ... the only thing better is a good book ... and I'm currently trying to read all of my man Tony Bourdain's work. It's yummy, makes me want to run off to New York and become a food writer. Of course, then I'd probably quickly gain all the weight I've shed ... because I'm sorry, when it comes to good carbs, I'm an addict with a habit I don't want to quit.

Here's to a good weekend to you all!

No comments: