Friday, May 27, 2011

Farewell Oprah Show

Yes, yes ... it's a bit cliche for me to be writing a farewell to the Oprah show ... I am sure this is one a million farewells that have been penned this last week. But I am just now catching up on the farewell shows this week. (Thank goodness for DVR - because it allowed me to watch Oprah's show efficiently ... especially the 30 second skip feature!)

It's amazing how influential one person can truly be. No matter what her motivation, she did help bring positive change into the world. I hope she's allowed her own personal space now, some privacy, some relaxation and some peace. While I know she's venturing on to her OWN network (because really, one show was not enough to contain all that she had to give ...) hopefully orchestrating behind the scenes will give her joy.

She captivated audiences unlike anyone else on the daytime TV circuit ... she gave crazy gifts to her audience ... she made public mistakes ... she is human after all ... and she was ridiculed and criticized at levels that many of us would have crumbled. Yes, at the age I'm at, I probably age myself an additional ten years by enjoying Oprah and Martha Stewart, but I have to say I admire their ability to go out and proclaim what they want and go after it and keep it. Both women have had public humiliation (jail, scandal) but yet, the public still loves them. I raise my glass to you Oprah.

No comments: