Friday, May 27, 2011

Self Indulgent Writer

I am able to cross another book off my list. I finished The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble. It took a little longer than I would have liked ... The story in itself was very, very interesting. It followed a Korean Crown Princess for the first half and then an Englishwoman for the second half ... their stories intertwined delicately. However ... I considered it such a self-indulgent piece of work ... Margaret actually wrote herself in as a character at the end of the book. At first I was confused and had to double-check that it was categorized as fiction. But yes, yes it was. I was stunned, I am sure this is not the first writer to put themselves in as a character of their book ... but to have your second heroine go out to lunch and befriend yourself? A bit indulgent Mags, a bit indulgent.

No comments: