Monday, May 09, 2011

Roasted Chicken Nightmare

So, this month's Food & Wine recipe did not turn out so well... From the May issue, I decided to conquer a lemon and honey glazed roasted chicken. We enjoy the occasional chicken, and being able to roast one is probably something that I should be able to do.

Suffice it to say that the smoke detectors went off a few times because our oven was clearly due for a cleaning. The chicken looked pretty when all was said and done. Just like the image from the magazine. The thermometer said it was safe to eat ... but then I started to carve it ... and I hit blood. And I'm sorry, but if I'm feeding my babies and I see blood in my chicken ... well it just is not going to go into their mouths.

As someone who has suffered from the horrors of food poisoning from chicken, I just cannot ever be responsible for my loved ones suffering. So, I felt bad throwing the chicken away and granted I did taste it ... and it did taste good ... and I'm still here with no food poisoning incident ... I just feel better playing it safe.

Perhaps one day, I will try to conquer the roasted chicken again.

No comments: