Monday, May 09, 2011

Mother's Day

I cannot believe I almost didn't capture Mother's Day on here. I am of the school of thought of spending Mother's Day with my boys. Until this year, we actually would end up seeing both my mom and D's mom, too. So it was a bunch of good motherness happening.

In fact, this year we broke a lot of traditions. Typically, we always spend Mother's Day morning participating in the Race for the Cure. This year, I passed on the event. It was a hard decision, because I love the spirit of the event and teaching my children to stand for a cause ... but with all the craziness that has infiltrated my life ... I just needed a break. And so, I told myself that this year, I was going to sleep in. It's horrible, and I did have some feelings of guilt creep in on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but then had to say to myself, that there is always next year. (And maybe I will run it next year!)

So, instead, we decided to pack up the boys and go to the MN Zoo. As members, we tend to visit the zoo quite a few times. I'm sure I've posted about many of our numerous adventures in the past. This trip was special, because it was our first trip where I could tell that O was really enjoying seeing the animals. He would point to the animals and squeal in delight or make noises. So, yes, maybe I did get a little overenthusiastic when D wanted to bypass a few of the animals and I insisted that we couldn't deprive O of the experience. Fortunately, since it was Mother's Day, he humored me.

We happened to leave just as it was starting to rain. We then decided to try and grab a late lunch at our favorite Korean restaurant. However, I think everyone in the metro area had the same idea. The place was packed, so we just went to the Korean grocer next door, picked up some items and then headed home. Where I of course embarked on my roasted chicken nightmare.

We ended the evening with treats from the DQ for the family and snuggling as we watched The Amazing Race finale. Our team didn't win, but we still cheered on the three final teams with gusto. When it was all said and done ... I couldn't have asked for a better day ... spending it with all of my boys.

No comments: