Monday, August 29, 2011

Afghani Food Treat

This weekend my restaurant/wine club ventured out to a place called Khyber Pass ... and I forgot to take pictures. However, the food was great. It's not the first time I've eaten at Khyber Pass, so I knew what I was getting into.

We started off with some aushak. Basically, they were this square ravioli dumplings that had leeks and beef in them. They were topped with a yogurt sauce that had a very strong and distinct mint flavor to them. It was not at all what I was expecting, but definitely was a good way to start the evening off. Refreshing and promising in about three bites.

For my main course, I selected the vegetarian special: kadoo borani. It basically was a lot of butternut squash love (and for those who know me ... that is a very good thing!) Thick chunks of squash were placed on a bed of basmati rice and then drizzled with a yogurt sauce. The spices on the dish were very flavorful ... and let's be honest, I ate more than I should. I have to take advantage of being able to order butternut squash ... because for some reason ... I am completely inept at cooking it on my own. I paired my entree with an Australian sauvignon blanc (they didn't appear to have any regionally appropriate wines on the menu, and I was just grateful for wine on the menu!)

So, knowing full well that I was full ... I did it anyway ... I ordered dessert. I ordered a milk custard treat called fimi. The menu explained that it was made with cardamom and rose water ... when I took my first bite ... let's just say I got a mouthful of rose. At first I wasn't sure if I would like it or not ... but two bites later, I decided a floral dessert is a great way to end the evening.

Khyber Pass is a nice quaint little restaurant that doesn't have a too overwhelming menu and provides good simple food and a really amazing price.Cheers!

No comments: