Saturday, March 23, 2013

How to Make an Introvert Quiver; or What I've Been Up to Since January

Today I spent my day at a high school surrounded by hundreds of children. Children who had the reigns, complete control, and as adults all we could do was watch.

Today was K's Destination Imagination tournament. Since January, I've been coaching/managing his team. A team of first and second graders who got to create their performance from the ground up with no real guidance from me other than providing supplies and facilitating brainstorming techniques to help them come up with ideas.

In the end, the kids did well ... but it was exhausting. Hard for this uber control freak to relinquish it all and be at the mercy of their decisions. It was also cute to see how the kids were nervous today. My team was able to have both of our competition times before noon. That meant K and I watched a few other teams and different challenges before watching one of his best buds. (D and O returned in time to watch these friends, too.)

It's a great program, and I am glad I participated, but I definitely learned I do not have the patience to commit to something like that again. It was almost like having a second job. So, I have to hope there are enough other parents dedicated enough to doing it next year so K can participate ... but I don't have to coach. If not ... well, we may have to find something else for K to do.

It was a lot of energy for me, too - talking to the other parents, managing the kids and holding my breath and hoping that they did okay. The kind of event that makes me long to get home and just relax by the fireplace with a book, magazine or my computer. (D is also clearly exhausted, because he ended up taking a two-hour nap while I chilled with the boys.)

--

In other news, hard to believe it's officially spring. Especially with all the snow that is still outside. Can't believe there could still be snow around for my birthday ... and D and my next 5K ... both are only two weeks away!

No comments: